"Nicosia, the city of Utopia" international poster competition by Graphic Stories Cyprus
Create and view your own printed postal card. Participate in the poster competition.
Graphic Stories Cyprus invites higher education students and professionals visual communication designers to create and view printed their own card postal and also to take part in the international poster competition entitled "Nicosia, the city of Utopia". The competition is part of the 3rd Visual Communication Designers Meeting in Cyprus that will take place the weekend between 10-12 of March 2017. The winners will receive €2000 total worth of prizes.
The creative idea
The creative idea, conserning the design of the poster, is based on the unique architectural identity of the fortification walls of Nicosia. The castle that surrounds the city was built by the Venetians, in the form it has today, based on Julio Savorgnano's plans during the late Renaissance era. The circular structure of the walls and the geometrical harmony of the final version of the design imply unity and fullness of the city and define the fundamental space not only for the sacred, but also for the popular buildings. During that era many similar structures, such as the walls of Palmanova in north-eastern Italy, were based on the idea that beauty and harmony of the design of a city could enhance the well-being of a community. The designer's expectations did not include only the military protection of the city but also the creation of suitable conditions for the promotion of the well-being and equality of citizens, the preservation of the knowledge gained and its hand over from generation to generation. The basic principles of this utopian foundation of a society are reflected in the design of the Renaissance Nicosia.
The competition concerns two separate and independent categories of participants (a) higher education students and (b) professional designers, which will share a common theme. The jury will choose one winner per category. Each of the two winners will receive €1000 worth of prizes, €500 offered by the Bank of Cyprus and a fonts package worth of €500 from Parachute fonts.
The theme of the competition, "Nicosia, the city of Utopia", and the corresponding exhibition are actions that aim, through the symbolism of the design of the fortification walls, to highlight the history, culture, arts and architecture of a city that was and still remains to this day a crossroad of cultures, arts and literatures, that can contemplate a future without walls and without borders.
The contest is open only to higher education students and professionals visual communication designers, and each participant is entitled to submit only one design. The submission of the projects can only be made electronically from November 10 2016 until January 20, 2017.
- Size: The theme should be vertically designed (portrait) and delivered as a digital file. The dimensions must be 10x14cm for the card postal and 50x70cm for the poster.
- Format / Resolution: The design should have 300dpi resolution, color mode CMYK, format .pdf and is necessary to attach a jpg file for use in the web.
- A prerequisite is to indicate the title of the competition in English "Nicosia: The city of utopia" and the "Graphic Stories Cyprus" logo in some place in the poster.
- The logo of Graphic Stories Cyprus and the vector file of the walls can be downloaded from our site.
- Each participant can submit only one design.
The submission of the projects starts on Thursday, November the 10th, 2016 and will end on Friday, January the 20th, 2017. Entries much be submitted online by category, to the following emails:
Each file should have a name in the form of: "cp_name_surname" for the card postal and "contest_name_surname" for his participation in the poster contest, followed by the files extension.
The e-mail, must necessarily include the following information:
- the subject must be: "GSC Contest Utopia"
- the file of the card postal should be 10x14cm and an adaptation of 50x70cm for the poster as mentioned above
- name and surname of the designer
- title (student or professional)
- address and telephone number
- the following statement: "The elements used for the creation of my work are original and does not include any third parties intellectual property. With my participation in the competition I grant the rights of free use of my work to the Graphic Stories Cyprus organizers."
- the work of each designer should be accompanied by a brief description
- Entries that do NOT have all the required information filled in or do not respect the conditions of the competition will NOT be considered valid.
- The public display of the submitted works is not allowed prior to the announcement of the winners.
- The distinguished artists will be announced publicly on the day of the opening of the exhibition.
- Participations whose content can be considered offensive or insulting or unrelated to the theme of the competition will not be considered valid.
- The winners and distinguished designers grant the right of free use of their project to the organizers of Graphic Stories Cyprus, with the signature of the author.
- The prizes will be given to the winners directly from our sponsors.
- The organizers and the jury reserve the right to cancel the contest.
- The submitted projects should not contain personal information of the designers.
- The competition is open only for higher education students and professional visual communication designers.
- The contributors, creative contributors and the members of the jury of Graphic Stories Cyprus can not participate at the competition.
All valid projects received will be printed as card postal, 10x14cm, and will be given to the public of Graphic Stories Cyprus during the three-day event.